About Kay Daly
From banner ads to press releases, magazine features to corporate websites, I specialize in crafting messages that tell a story and make an impact.
As an editorial professional, I offer:
- A professional track record: As the former manager of editorial services for FastWeb.com (a division of Monster.com) and managing editor for America Online's Local City Guide, I've cracked a whip over many a freelancer. Now that the tables are turned, I've worked as a freelance writer and editor with industry leaders including Kaplan, Inc., Dearborn Trade Publications, and Starwood Hotels.
Background in a range of content areas: I've written extensively on a variety of topics, including career planning and job hunting, education and college preparation, college financial aid, arts and entertainment, and dining and leisure. In a pinch, I've quickly mastered areas as diverse as motorsports and substance abuse treatment.
- Special expertise with online content development: I've written and edited online courses, organizational Web copy, and articles and content sections for online companies and publications.
- A capacity to see beyond the obvious: I enjoy the challenge of meeting clients. writing needs, and finding unexpected communication solutions.
- The trained eye of a professional proofreader: I've mastered the differences between AP and Chicago style. I'm a practiced pro with standard proofreader's marks and "Track Changes." I know when to use a semicolon. As a professional proofreader and editor, I've dotted 'I's and crossed 'T's for clients including Kaplan, Inc., and Pearson Scott Foresman
- Book learning to back it all up: I earned a BA in English at U.C.L.A. and a PhD in English at Northwestern University. I've also taught writing-intensive courses and mentored young writers and editors in the workplace.
Currently, I am a member of the National Writers Union, Chicago Women in Publishing, and the Independent Writers of Chicago.